Re: Symbolic toolbox help?

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Symbolic toolbox help?
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 12:02:47 -0600

Ron Crummett wrote:

Hi -

How do you use the Symbolic toolbox? I have seen a lot of information in the mailing list archives regarding its existence, but have been unable to acutally do anything with it. Just a couple pointers should be fine; for instance, using the 'differentiate' function. Thanks.

I'll assume you have it installed already as a part of octave-forge, as a previous poster pointed out. I've never actually used it before, so I took a look. It seriously needs better documentation, but here's an example I was able to create:

octave:1> symbols
octave:2> x=sym('x');
octave:3> differentiate(x^2,x)
ans =

(2.0)*x

It appears you must first run the symbols command to initialize the use of symbolic math. Not doing so causes an error when I type the third command above. Anyway, I hope this gets you started. If you want to send some documentation patches, they would be welcome. Particularly, I think help symbols should give more information and have a long list of see alsos to get someone using the toolbox started.

-Quentin