Re: Performance of fread

From: Sascha Berkenkamp
Subject: Re: Performance of fread
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:24:07 +0100

* Quentin Spencer <address@hidden> [27.02.2006 17:46]:
> If you really want
> to know what is make this slow, you need to do some measurements using
> functions like tic and toc

ok. For the first step I did the tip from the octave documentation. I
wrote all my code in one file without using some extra function. No
function (my own functions) calls.
I was able to speed up the code from cputime 350 to cputime 230!
This was only the part of the program which reorganizes the data files
by reading files and storing it to another file, but with much more
organisation. This is only to read the files in the second path of the
programm much more easier.

Yes is it right the diskspeed and the memory is very important. I run
the code on my Laptop (Pentium Centrion 1.6 Ghz, 512 MB Ram, Octave
running on Debian Etch) more faster than on one Pentium 2.4 Ghz, 768
MB Ram, but running with Octave from ParallelKnoppix.

Sascha

PS: If you're interested in the whole programm to increase the speed
from octave I can send you the whole programm and the measurement
data (about 450 MB)

--
Diese E-Mails ist signiert um die Echtheit zu gewaehrleisten.
Weitere Informationen zum Verschluesseln und Signieren von E-Mails