More Informed Sort

From: Bill Denney
Subject: More Informed Sort
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 23:01:07 -0500 (EST)

So, in trying to write the A* search, I need to sort relatively often. I know a lot about my list though. I know that before I start an iteration it is sorted. I will add some known number of elements (generally much smaller than the full list) to the list that will be unsorted (though I could sort this list addition prior to insertion).

My thought was that the most efficient method would be to sort the items that are going to be added and merge the two lists. That said, is there already a method of doing this in octave that would be faster than just calling sort?

Bill

--
Officer: "Do you know how fast you were going?"
Heisenberg: "No, but I know EXACTLY where I was"