compiling multiple versions on one system

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: compiling multiple versions on one system
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 13:50:31 -0500

On  8-Feb-2006, Mike Miller wrote:

| Is it a problem to put multiple versions of Octave and Octave-Forge on the
| same system?  I have 2.1.72 currently installed and I would like to have
| 2.9.4 installed also.  Are there any tricks in the configure or install
| phases that I need to use?

My advice to this question for just about any software package is
always some variation on

  configure --prefix=/usr/local/PACKAGE/VERSION

i.e., for Octave, I would use

  configure --prefix=/usr/local/octave/2.1.72
  configure --prefix=/usr/local/octave/2.9.4

etc.  Then modify your PATH to include the bin directory corresponding
to the version you want to use.  This method also has the advantage of
making it really easy to completely remove an old version since
everything for that version is stored in a single directory tree.

jwe