Re: matching command

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: matching command
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 18:04:55 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Stefan van der Walt wrote:

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 09:55:44PM +0200, Shai Ayal wrote:

I'm sure there are many other examples. IMHO Octave should strive to be better than matlab, not just a clone

While I share your sentiments, I believe it's a design decision that's been taken? Octave aims to be compatible with MATLAB, wherever possible.

I think we should strive for "unidirectional compatibility" such that Octave can run *any* MATLAB code (rendering MATLAB unnecessary) but MATLAB might not be able to run all Octave code. This allows us to have both compatibility and superiority.

Mike