Re: plot to file

From: James R. Phillips
Subject: Re: plot to file
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 08:50:39 -0800 (PST)

-- "John W. Eaton"  wrote:
> No, but for simple plots you don't need to set the output to
> /dev/null, then a real file followed by replot.  You could just set
> the output to the file, execute the plotting commands, then reset the
> terminal and output.
>
> This approach should work with multiplots too.  Try this:

I can confirm this works with multiplots.  The existance of replot commands in
the subplots does not garble the output postscript the way it does in a
non-multiplot scenario.  The "dev/null" idiom was developed to address the
issue of not getting a clean plot if replot is used in a single plot scenario.