strcmp change?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: strcmp change?
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 09:58:06 -0500

On  5-Nov-2005, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

| I noticed that strcmp has changed in CVS version (relative to 2.1.71).
|
| Previously,  strcmp (x, "a") would return 0 for non-string x, now
| it returns an error:
|
| octave:13> x=strcmp(1, "a")
| error: value on right hand side of assignment is undefined
| error: evaluating assignment expression near line 13, column 2
|

| Is this change for matlab's compatibility?

Probably not.  In scripts/ChangeLog:

2005-07-18  John W. Eaton  <address@hidden>

        * strings/strcmp.m: Delete.

and in src/ChangeLog:

2005-07-18  John W. Eaton  <address@hidden>

        * strfns.cc (Fstrcmp): New function from Soren Hauberg
        <address@hidden> and Tom Holroyd <address@hidden>.
        Adapt to Octave conventions.

So probably the new function needs a bit more work.  It would be
useful if someone would suggest a patch.

Thanks,

jwe