Re: Install 2.9.3

From: Ron Crummett
Subject: Re: Install 2.9.3
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 13:29:34 -0700

John W. Eaton wrote:

On 29-Oct-2005, Ron Crummett wrote:

| When I try plotting, I see the gnuplot execution stuff

What do you mean by "gnuplot execution stuff".  When you report
problems, it helps to be precise.  Otherwise, how do you expect anyone
to be able to help you?
Sorry, I wasn't sure what exactly to call it.  Let me give you an example:

octave:3> x = 0:10;
octave:4> y = x.^2;
octave:5> plot(x, y);
octave:6>
      G N U P L O T
      Version 4.0 patchlevel 0 - modified for xcas
      last modified Thu Apr 15 14:44:22 CEST 2004
      System: Linux 2.6.8-2-386

      Copyright (C) 1986 - 1993, 1998, 2004
      Thomas Williams, Colin Kelley and many others

      This is gnuplot version 4.0.  Please refer to the documentation
      for command syntax changes.  The old syntax will be accepted
      throughout the 4.0 series, but all save files use the new syntax.

      Type `help` to access the on-line reference manual.
      The gnuplot FAQ is available from
              http://www.gnuplot.info/faq/

      Send comments and requests for help to
              <address@hidden>
      Send bugs, suggestions and mods to
              <address@hidden>

Terminal type set to 'x11'
gnuplot> set style data lines
gnuplot> set nologscale;
           ^
       warning: deprecated syntax, use "unset"
gnuplot> set nopolar;
           ^
       warning: deprecated syntax, use "unset"
gnuplot> pl '/tmp/oct-R1JdpH' t "line 1"
gnuplot>

I have never seen anything like this before; of course, I haven't usually used the development version.

Also, please remember that you are using a development version of
Octave.  The download page at www.octave.org says:

 Use [the development version] if you want the latest features and it
 doesn't bother you that you might run into a few problems [...]

It doesn't bother me too much that I might run into a few problems, but I figure the best way to fix the problems is to identify them when they come up...

jwe