Re: multiline strings and HERE documents

From: Colin Ingram
Subject: Re: multiline strings and HERE documents
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:00:39 -0500

John W. Eaton wrote:

On 27-Oct-2005, Colin Ingram wrote:

| Does octave have support for HERE documents to handle multiline stings | in script files?

If I understand your question correctly, then the answer is no.

Maybe you could give us an example of what you are really trying to
do, and someone could help you find a convenient way to do it.

sure..

right now I am trying to print a long paragraph of text to a file. printf ("Here is an example where one wants to print a long paragraph of text where it would be convenient, although unnecessary, to use a HERE document so that I can avoid having to put all the text on to one line and avoid implicitly inserting '/n` for newlines. This makes code much more readable")

in the past I have wanted to write output files with several variables to output like

var A: number
var B: another number
var C: string

and so on for several variables.

I had no trouble doing it but it would have been much easier to formate useing a HERE document instead of putting the entire quote on one line within an fprintf(). So I thought I had read about HERE documents in the manual but I couldn't find it again so I must have been mistaken. Thanks though.

jwe