Re: image/data acquisition toolbox

From: Brendan Drew
Subject: Re: image/data acquisition toolbox
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:45:45 -0600

I can't say much for the DAQ side, but for the image acquisition side, I can say this:

DirectX under Windows is a nightmare to work with. It has some interesting design philosophies, but the whole COM/DCOM/ActiveX/whatever they're calling it this week aspect is hellish to work with. Robert Laganiere has a good tutorial on some of the basics of talking to an image source (be it a camera or a video stored as an mpeg), but it is not for the feint of heart. You're going to be fighting a number of things: hooking up the right codecs in the right order, making sure that all the data agress on what format it should be used in (e.g: YUV4:2:2 packed versus RGB planar versus RGB16 versus YUV4:1:1, etc.) Unless you do something like Intel did in OpenCV with their ProxyFilter (it takes a user supplied callback which operates on IplImage* structures, the filter itself takes care of making sure everything is in the correct format, etc.), this problem is going to be largely not worth solving under Windows.

The story under Linux is quite a bit different. While interfacing with Ffmpeg is... "non-trivial" (to say the least, the documentation is largely non-existent), using the same libraries that Ffmpeg does to do its raw acquisition is pretty easy. If you've got a V4L device, the kernel interface is pretty reasonable (all you would need to keep track of in your program is the file handle you're talking to the device with). If you want DCAM or DV, these are also doable, but require that you keep around pretty large data structures. I'm not quite sure how one would go about doing this in Octave, but if you can have Octave manage your handles and what not in a form that you can return to users, you're good to go.

Making this work on a Mac is... an interesting challenge. The only way I am aware of getting access to video sources (be it a live camera or a stored video) on a Mac is via QuickTime (or doing things the hard way via Ffmpeg).

Long story short, I don't believe that there is any cross platform way to do the image acquisition side of things. That said, I will gladly eat my words if I'm wrong (and buy at least one round at the pub for whomever shows me a better way to do things!)

Claudia Calcagno wrote:

Hi Andrey,

that sounds like a good idea: thank you for the suggestion, I didn't know about that project. The drivers shouldn't be a problem, since I only want to use the audio card
(and it works under linux).
Basically I think I am interested in what daqplay demo should do (I only want to output an analog signal through the audio card and ): I didn't have the chance to try
that yet, since it is on windows only.

For John : More generally I think that would be an interesting project, which I will be totally happy to work on.

Thanks to everybody,

Claudia

Can't say anything about image processing, but as for DAQ, you may try to throw together an Octave binding to COMEDI (www.comedi.org). Does your DAQ hardware have Linux drivers?

Andrey