problem compiling Octave-Forge on Red Hat Linux system

From: Mike Miller
Subject: problem compiling Octave-Forge on Red Hat Linux system
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 00:12:49 -0500 (CDT)

Octave 2.1.71 had been built (successfully) with the same --prefix and with --enable-shared. This is the OS data:

# uname -a
Linux 2.4.21-37.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Sep 7 13:28:55 EDT 2005 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux

I did the usual ./configure with --prefix for octave-forge-2005.06.13. Then I ran "make" for octave-forge and it ended like this:

Build finished.
Please read FIXES/README before you install.
extra/ not complete. See log for details
FIXES/ not complete. See log for details
make: *** [all] Error 1

I was expecting the line about "extra" because of the NOINSTALL, but what about FIXES? Am I supposed to add a NOINSTALL to that directory? I have to guess that I am supposed to but I really don't understand the instructions. Is there a way for me to know what has been superceded by recent versions of Octave?

Anyway, I ran "make check" to see if it would give me a clue and this is what happened instead:

admin/mktests.sh
admin/run_forge octave --norc -q fntests.m
FIXES [tests       1 of      12 files]
warning: hankel: column wins anti-diagonal conflict
                                         ---> success
main/audio [tests       2 of      13 files]
                                         ---> success
main/cell [tests       1 of       2 files]
                                         ---> success
main/comm [tests       5 of      60 files]
                                         ---> success
main/control [tests       0 of       1 files]
                                         ---> success
main/econometrics [tests       0 of      25 files]
                                         ---> success
main/fixed [tests       0 of      43 files]
                                         ---> success
main/general [tests       5 of      33 files]
panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
admin/run_forge: line 53: 16002 Segmentation fault      $*
make: *** [check] Error 139

Any tips would be most welcome!

Thanks.

Mike