Re: Negative zeros?

From: Vic Norton
Subject: Re: Negative zeros?
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 19:47:32 -0400

I am receptive to all kinds of things, Przemek, but I have never been talking about anything other than the INTEGER 0. I was not talking about the real number 0, which is an equivalence class of Cauchy sequences or a Dedekind cut or what have you. I was not talking about the complex number 0, which is a pair of real 0's. And I was not talking about the limit of anything.

The 0's I had problems with were never computed. They were assigned. But because of the nature of my routine they were continually being multiplied by -1 (also an integer). If a 0 was multiplied an even number of times it stayed 0, and if a zero was multiplied an odd number of times it became -0. All of this was an artifact of my routine and had no meaning whatsoever. And the 0's and -0's popped up quite randomly in the output.

Thank heavens I was told about the x += 0 trick. Now we perhaps we can put this topic to rest.

Regards,

Vic