Re: google groups and Usenet

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: google groups and Usenet
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 10:03:25 +0200

John W. Eaton wrote:

On  8-Sep-2005, Colin Ingram wrote:

| I don't want to create a new mailing list. (which I think is what this | procedure would do.) Nor do I think everyone on the list wants to send | their messages to two different mailing lists just for my benefit. | | what I am thinking of is more along the lines of debian-user is set up | so that it is mirror as linux.debian.user and I can read it from google | groups without having the thousands of users sign up for google groups

Do messages that are posted to the list from the google groups
interface also show up on the mailing list (i.e., you have a list ->
news gateway and a news -> list gateway)?  I think you would want
both.  The only problem I have with setting up a gateway like this is
that we currently require subscription to post.  How would that work
with a news -> list gateway?

The reverse gateway should be no problem. The way to handle the subscription issue with a usenet group is to have a moderation of the group before accepting the posting. Posting would be held at the gateway till they are moderated. I suspect this might be a lot of work if there are a large number of junk postings, and I'm not sure there is automatic software to deal with the spam.

Frankly, I see the technical issue as minor next to the issue of moderation. So Colin if you want it, you're the moderator....

Regards
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary