Re: hdf5-support ?

From: Jon H. Davis
Subject: Re: hdf5-support ?
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:59:38 -0400

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 09:22 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 18-Aug-2005, David Bateman wrote:
>
> | Your question still has sense if you are working with a file in octave's
> | format... Again, the answer is no. The reason is that the "mode"
> | variable in Fsave is not passed to the hdf5_ofstream constructor as
> | defined in ls-hdf5.h. Furthermore the  std::ios::ate flag of mode in not
> | tested in the constructor, and the stream is always opened for saving like
> |
> |     file_id = H5Fcreate (name, H5F_ACC_TRUNC, H5P_DEFAULT, H5P_DEFAULT);
> |
> | The fact is it probably wouldn't be very hard to modify octave to allow
> | the functionality you want, as it would just require passing the mode to
> | the hdf5_ofstream constructor in load-save.cc, then testing for
> | std::ios:ate in the constructor and using the right flags to H5Fcreate.
> | Want to send a patch?
>
> Or, as another solution to this problem, I think it would be good to
> have a thin wrapper to the HDF5 library interface.  Then you could do
> anything with HDF5 in Octave.  That would seem to me to be the most
> flexible solution.  If we had that, we might even think about
> rewriting some of the current HDF5 load-save code as .m files instead
> of C++.
>
> Since Matlab also has some kind of interface to the HDF5 library, it
> would probably be good to also provide a Matlab-compatible interface
> as well.
>
> jwe
       I have sometimes wondered about the possibility of using swig to
 generate extensions for octave. As it is, swig generates interfaces for
 pretty near every other scripting language on the planet. I have only
 used it to generate code for embedding python in some of my own C code,
 but the documentation seems to have information for enhancing swig to
 support other scripting languages.

       Jon