Re: Newbie questions...

From: Robert A. Macy
Subject: Re: Newbie questions...
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 10:47:02 -0700

REGARDING EDIT FUNCTION...
I use the 2.1.50 and have NEVER used edit function.  What's
it for?

If you're trying to edit a script, or function file, don't
use notepad, use Sc1.exe from
  http://www.scintilla.org

It's really small, highlights, indents, etc.  It's useful
for C++, too.

LOADPATH, I've never concurred this one either...
I put all my current scripts in some work folder that I get
to from a script file sitting in the default directory

C:\Program Files\GNU Octave 2.1.50\octave_files

called cdwork.m, which looks like this...
% Changes working directory to
Directry="C:/AAA/Folder1/GovtLabs/Run01"
cd C:\AAA\Folder1\GovtLabs\Run01\

Note the "forward" slashes in the printed statement, else
the printing gets confused, I just use it to confirm where
I land.

Depending on which folder I'm working on that month, I
change the script appropriately

Everytime I start up octave I simply type cdwork, then I'm
whisked away to the working area.

Every so often I double click on a batch file on the
desktop that checks for the archive bit to be set in *any*
of the working area files.  It then copies any changed file
to my "mirror" disk and clears each archive bit.  I am
amazed at how many files I change, or add, and forget
about.  This provides automatic backup feature that's
pretty effortless.

GET RID OF Line ----
simply type in once
>> gset nokey;
and it goes away.

You could actually put that line in your cdwork.m and
always remove it.  Thanks, I'm going to go add that to mine
now.

                - Robert -