Re: gnuplot: set terminal png

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: gnuplot: set terminal png
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 11:33:51 +0300

Another way to go is to output ps and convert to png using ghostscript in my experience the output png looks nicer this way.

For this you of course have to have ghostscript installed, but it is a rather common program.

Use the following in the shell command line (it should all be on one line, but maybe the mailer wrapped it)

gs -q -dSAFER -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dTextAlphaBits=4 -r150 -sDEVICE=png16m -sOutputFile=file.png file.ps

where file.ps is that you produced with gnuplot, file.png is the file you will get.

The resolution of the png file can be changed using the -r switch -- in the example it is set to 150dpi.

you can also convert to other formats -- inputing

gs -h

will give you a (long) list of available devices. Of these, I note -sDEVICE=jpeg or -sDEVICE=pdfwrite to get jpeg/pdf respectively

Shai

Vic Norton wrote:
I would like to generate PNG files with gnuplot, but "set terminal png" does not work with my version gnuplot 4.0. Apparently there is no PNG terminal. (This used to work with earlier versions of gnuplot.)

I am using Mac OS X 10.3. I am sure I just need to tweak some settings somewhere (I read something about a "--with-gd=/usr/local/lib" option that didn't work for someone), but I have no idea where to start. And I am a Unix dummy to boot!

Can someone give me a hand. I realize this is not exactly an octave question, but people do use gnuplot from octave. How do I make "set terminal png" work in gnuplot?

Regards,

Vic