Navigating directories in Macintosh and octave

From: bostonear-octave
Subject: Navigating directories in Macintosh and octave
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:02:48 -0700 (PDT)

I would appreciate some specific help in starting and
using Octave on a Macintosh.  Please understand that
my grasp of Unix is poor.  I have successfully
installed the program and it will run if I type into
the Terminal the command:
/usr/local/bin/octave

I did receive some help in the recent past, but
although suggestions were made, I failed to be able to
implement them in part due to my limited Unix
capabilities.

Although not primary, or necessary, the ability to
start with the command “octave” would be nice.  I am
aware that this is related to the proper information
residing in a specific directory and specific file.
My question is exactly where does this directory exist
in the Unix scheme of things, what is the name of the
file, and what is the exact text that should be in the
file.

My second question is where the exact location of the
files relating to MatLab scripts can be located and
how does Octave find theme?  This is related to
LoadPath, but again where is the directory for
creating LoadPath and what is the file name and text
entry needed?  I understand in some way that this is
“octaverc” but need help in locating and creating it
as well as writing to it.  I believe that writing can
be done with “pico”.

I recognize that I need some extreme hand holding at
this point and thank you in advance.

Allan