Re: mouse on MacOSX/X11

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: mouse on MacOSX/X11
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:37:22 -0600

on 7/14/05 5:12 PM, Dmitri A. Sergatskov at address@hidden wrote:

> I got this behavior in standalone gnuplot.
> If I plot with octave then mouse is not active in gnuplot windows.
> In my .gnuplot (which is hardlink to .gnuplotrc) I have:
>
> set term X11
> set mouse
>
> I also add
> __gnuplot_raw__ ("set mouse\n;")
> to .octaverc
>
> I use gnuplot-4 binary from sourceforge and octave-2.1.71 from hpc
> site.
>
> The whole reason to use X11 terminal instead of Aquaterm
> is to be able to zoom with the mouse, and it does not work.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Dmitri.

Dmitri,

For what it is worth, the behavior is the same with OS X 10.3.9, Apple's
X11, and octave-2.1.69. With gnuplot standalone, I can zoom with the right
mouse button by dragging a box and clicking, but with octave, the mouse
cursor appears and moves via the mouse, but does nothing. In gnuplot, the
cursor coordinates appear at the lower left corner of the screen, but not in
octave. Do we need another option in __gnuplot_set__ or __gnuplot_raw__ to
tell gnuplot it has a mouse available?

You can get a three button-mouse on a Mac by just plugging in a $15 Logitech
three-button USB mouse. Nothing else is necessary. The mouse from your Linux
box probably works.

There is a binary version of Grace Plot out there that works with octave via
"toggle_grace_use." The cursor and mouse work well with the octave/Grace
Plot combination on my machine.

I use about a half-dozen X11 applications (geomview, Grace Plot, DDD, GMV,
etc.) and don't have any problems with the mouse/cursor with those
applications.

Most of the time I use AquaTerm because of the option to save an .eps or
.pdf directly from the plot window. I have a local version of figure.m that
I use to set the font and font size for AquaTerm.

In my version of X11, on the top menu, there is a "Zoom Window" that makes
the X11 plot window full screen.

Enough. No reply necessary.

Joe