Starting Octave on Macintosh

From: bostonear-octave
Subject: Starting Octave on Macintosh
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 06:31:09 -0700 (PDT)

I am trying to use Octave on a Mac iBook, osx 10.3.  I
have zero knowledge of Unix.  I can get Octave to
start up, but have no idea how to get a series of
matlab scripts to function.  My specific questions
are:
1 Do the scrits belong in
/usr/local/bin/ocatave/shared????
2 If not at this location, where do they belong?
3 Since the unix files are not visible in the finder,
what are the unix commands to move them into the
proper place from a location such as the Desktop?
4 How does one start a script?
5 For some reason, command line instructions such as
help-I do not work

any help would be appreciated

thanks

allan