Re: octave & octave-forge install instructions for Mac OS X 10.4.x

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: octave & octave-forge install instructions for Mac OS X 10.4.x
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 19:27:39 -0600

on 7/1/05 6:48 PM, Marius Schamschula at address@hidden wrote:

> Joe,
>
> I saw g95.sf.net mentioned on hpc.sf.net. However the note "Some
> reports suggest that this alternate g95 is a bit ahead in the
> implementation of F95 features, but produces poorly optimized
> executables." discouraged me from trying this compiler.

Marius,

My experience is that g95 is that is has about the same speed as g77,
although I haven't done any extensive benchmarks. In a comparison with xlf,
with the use of some NIST FDS code examples, g95 ran at about 2/3 the speed
of xlf (both using one processor of my dual G5).

Apparently, the fastest Mac Fortran, IBM's xlf, is going away, a victim of
the Apple switch to Intel chips. Maybe Intel Fortran is waiting in the
wings.

Joe