Re: origin of the index syntax

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: origin of the index syntax
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:43:11 +0200

Francesco Potorti` wrote:

Dear Octave users,

does anyone know where the index expression syntax used in Octave comes
from?  Is the Matlab people who invented it?  Or else it is older?  Was
it just the evolution of something in common usage?
I believe the syntax was developed at the time when octave-forge was being setup, and its category index was also being setup. Probably Paul Kienzle had a hand in the development, however the original author of the make_index script, that makes use of the INDEX files to create the category index, is Albert Danial. So if there is someone to praise (blame :-) ) for the INDEX file syntax it is probably him.

I would like to know because, in a program we are planning to write, we
will very likely use the same index expression syntax as Octave's, and
we would like to find a proper name to describe it.

As for a proper name for the scheme why not "octave indexing files".

D.

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary