Re: statistics distributions function names

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: statistics distributions function names
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:09:06 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 23-Jun-2005, Ben Barrowes wrote:

| Why are the names for the distribution functions in
| /usr/local/share/octave/2.9.3/m/statistics/distributions/
| different from their ML counterparts?

I'm not certain, but it might be that some of the Octave functions were written before the functions in Matlab. Or, it might be that they were written at a time when there was not so much empasis on compatibility with Matlab.

If you owuld like for this to improve, then please submit patches to provide a compatibile interface. It would be best to keep the current interface at least for a while, perhaps also having the incompatible functions emit warnings.

I actually was an unpaid consultant working with the Mathworks on the development of their stat toolbox. That's where many of these functions are found. When I started using Octave a little later, I noticed some of the names were different. I liked the Octave names better than the MATLAB names. It looks like the problem is that the MATLAB names were developed for MS Windows back when Windows 3.1 and DOS were still in use and every filename had to be in 8.3 format. Octave was built for UNIX so it doesn't have that limitation. Example: MATLAB uses the name poissinv.m and Octave uses poisson_inv.m.

Someone suggested the use of aliases. How are aliases used in Octave? We could use symbolic links.

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor