Re: How do I uninstall Octave?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: How do I uninstall Octave?
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:43:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, Keith Goodman wrote:

On 6/18/05, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
On 18-Jun-2005, Keith Goodman wrote:

| I would like to completely remove Octave 2.9.2 and the corresponding
| Octave-Forge. Do I just
|
| # rm -r /usr/local/share/octave/2.9.2
| # rm -r /usr/local/libexec/octave/2.9.2

That doesn't get the stuff in /usr/local/bin or /usr/local/include or
probably some other directories.

Given that you want to remove all versions, this should be an easy way to get most of it:

rm -rf /usr/local/*/octave*

You might want to do this first to see what you're getting:

ls -ld /usr/local/*/octave*

On my system there are files in all these places:

/usr/local/bin/octave*
/usr/local/include/octave/
/usr/local/include/octave-[versions]/
/usr/local/info/octave.info*
/usr/local/lib/octave/
/usr/local/lib/octave-[versions]/
/usr/local/libexec/octave/
/usr/local/share/octave/
/usr/local/src/octave-[versions]/
/usr/local/src/octave-[versions].tar.gz

So, if you don't want to remove the files in, for example, /usr/local/src, you'll have to either move them, or do one rm command at a time with fewer wildcard characters.

This command might also help, depending on your system:

locate octave | less

Or maybe this...

ls -l `locate octave` | less

...but it's slower. The advantage is that it will note which files have been removed since the last update of the locate database.

Mike