Re: Octave optimisation for 64 bit ??

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Octave optimisation for 64 bit ??
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:30:33 +0200

Phil Preston wrote:

Hi

we are looking at moving from Matlab on Win2000 to Octave on a 64 bit
Linux for some image analysis works.

Is octave already optimised or 64 bit systems ?

Partially ready in the 2.9.x series.. There are some 64-bit issues with load/save of file due to the file formats, and also there are a couple of function currently disabled for 64-bit issues

Someone said Octave gives a 10-20% speed boost on 32 bit systems. (but can you trust someone ?)
Sometime faster, sometime slower. Matlab winning for unvectorized code due to its type interferencing JIT compiler, where it can be significantly faster. For this reason in most generic code octave will be slower. The good news is that things are happening on that front and it won't stay that way forever.

Is it possible/easy to reconfigure Octave to take advantage of 64 bit
systems ?
Its as easy as ./configure on a 2.9.3 install and then build for 64-bit once you've confirmed that a 64-bit system was correctly identified..

Is it worth the effort ?
How much data do you have?

thanks in advance, now I'll go read the manual some more in case the
answer is in there

Seeing as this stuff is new, I doubt it...

D.

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary