Re: Problems changing Code

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: Problems changing Code
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 11:58:38 -0600

on 5/21/05 9:32 AM, Keith Goodman at address@hidden wrote:

> Shouldn't Fink know the dependencies needed to get a fully functional
> Octave up and running? Fink, after all, is based on apt-get.

Keith,

On a Mac you can run Octave with X11, AquaTerm or Grace Plot (and probably
some others), so you have a choice. This confuses the definition of
"dependency." My recollection is that Fink does install AquaTerm, but you
may need to add to your .bash_profile or other file with the equivalent of

  export GNUTERM=aqua
  export DISPLAY=:0.0

before Octave can find it.

The advantages or AquaTerm include (in my opinion) better looking images
than X11, and a way to save directly any open plot window to .eps or .pdf.
My experience with Grace Plot, which also needs X11, is that it works, but
has problems with legend.m and some other plot files. Octave-forge probably
needs some updating before it is fully functional with Grace Plot.

Joe