Re: are there plans for an octave profiler?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: are there plans for an octave profiler?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 15:39:50 -0400

On 13-May-2005, Mike Miller wrote:

| I remember reading years ago that MATLAB functions are compiled in memory
| the first time each function is executed within a session.  Does Octave
| also compile functions in memory?

Define compile.

Yes, Octave converts the text representation of a program to something
else (a tree structured description of the program plus a symbol table
to associate values with symbol names) then it walks the tree to
interpret the program.  So Octave does not parse the text of a program
loop or function repeatedly but it also does not convert a program
directly to hardware instructions in the way that a C compiler does.

| Is it then faster in subsequent calls
| to the same function than it is in the initial call?

Yes, it takes slightly more time to find a function file, read it, and
convert it to the internal form.

jwe