Error message formatting (was Re: wavread problems)

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Error message formatting (was Re: wavread problems)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 16:23:42 -0500

Keith Goodman wrote:

On 5/11/05, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
Perhaps.  Can you suggest a way of doing that?

(Somewhere between me sending the message, in what I think is
text/plain, and the mailing list receiving it, little flourishes are
added. There's a particular insistence that all equallities are 3D
equalities. What causes that? Would you like a script to filter it
out?)

Current Octave traceback

error: `fidy' undefined near line 86 column 13
error: evaluating argument list element number 1
error: evaluating for command near line 65, column 1
error: called from `myfunction' in file `/big/long/directory/path/myfunction.m'
error: called from `slick' in file `/somewhat/shorter/path/slick.m'
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 113, column 14
error: evaluating if command near line 26, column 1
error: called from `rmt' in file `/random/matrix/theory/rmt.m'
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 17, column 14
error: evaluating if command near line 16, column 1
error: called from `fx' in file `/octave/money/back/gaurantee/fx.m'

Proposed Octave traceback

ERROR: `fidy' undefined
/big/long/directory/path/myfunction.m
    Line  86 column 13 (argument list)
    Line  65 column  1 (for command)
/somewhat/shorter/path/slick.m
    Line ??? column ?? (assignment expression)
/random/matrix/theory/rmt.m
    Line 113 column 14 (assignment expression)
    Line  26 column  1 (if command)
/octave/money/back/gaurantee/fx.m
    Line  17 column 14 (assignment expression)
    Line  16 column  1 (if command)
I think this is a big improvement. I also have had a hard time reading these error outputs, and find Matlab's error messages easier to read, though they don't provide as much information. When I'm debugging, the function call stack is more useful to me than the stack of loops within each function, so I wouldn't mind an even shorter output format that omits all of the "Line .. Column ..." stuff except where the error occured. Perhaps yet another builtin variable (short_error_report_format or something like that) is in order?

-Quentin