Re: gvim and gedit

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: gvim and gedit
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 13:22:34 -0500

Keith Goodman wrote:

Thank you for the syntax highlighting. How do I get gedit to
automatically recognize a .m file as an Octave file?

I notice that the highlighting cannot distinguish between a transpose
and an unterminated string. That sounds like a hard problem.
There is a GPL matlab-mode for emacs that gets this right:
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/files/104/matlab.el
You're right, it is a hard problem. The worst part is, it never needed to be--we could just use " " for strings (an octave idea) and not use ' ' (a Matlab idea). Blame the MathWorks for that one.
-Quentin