RE: Unidentified subject!

From: Serpa Gino
Subject: RE: Unidentified subject!
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 16:52:01 -0400

How about just using
Cosh(x)=(1/2)(e^x+e^(-x))
And solve for e^x and then for x?
Just a thought

-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 4:42 PM
To: address@hidden
Subject: Unidentified subject!

Good afternoon,

I've got a problem calculating "acosh". I have to calculate cosh^(-1) of
a very large complex number (-7.2718e+15 + 1.3382e+15i). If I try to
calculate the value of acosh on the command line of octave, the result
is "Inf". If I've got the same in a script, the script apparently uses
this "result" for further
calculations and   I'm very suspicious about the output from this
script. Is
there a limit for the value that one can use when evaluating acosh???

Thanks,

Hana.