Re: Teaching Using Octave

From: R S Ananda Murthy
Subject: Re: Teaching Using Octave
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 17:22:09 +0530

Burke, Dr. Richard wrote:

I know a bit about the history of Octave, and if I’m not mistaken, several faculty have taught courses using Octave. I will be teaching a course called Engineering Analysis in the fall, and I am thinking about basing the course on Octave. The course is for junior level engineers from mechanical, electrical, and related disciplines.

A few questions:

1. Is there anything published about your experience or the experience of others in using Octave as the computational basis for a course? There are countless books based upon MATLAB, MathCAD, etc.

2. Is the Octave documentation adequate for undergraduate engineers? I am concerned about having the course devolve into a software tutorial, and like most small college programs, we do not have teaching assistants.

3. Any advice as to whether (or how) I should do this?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

*//**/_______________________/*

*/Dr. Richard Burke, '72/*

*/Chairman and Professor of Engineering/*

*/Maritime College/*

*/State University of New York /*

*/6 Pennyfield Avenue/*

*/Throggs Neck, NY 10465/*

*/Voice: 718.409.7411/*

*/Fax: 718.409.7421/*

Hello:

We have been using Octave as a simulation tool in our Control Systems Lab and Power Systems Simulation Lab. The manual provided with Octave is sufficient. If you could tell me what kind of problems you would like to solve using Octave, I am ready to help.

Ananda Murthy R S