How to not echo what the user types?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: How to not echo what the user types?
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:10:30 -0400

On  4-Apr-2005, Edward C. Jones <address@hidden> wrote:

| I am trying to use Octave from Python using the "pexpect" module. In
| Octave, everything that come in via stdin is send right back out via
| stdout split into lines with some CNTL-H's added. This is done so the
| interactive user can see what he is typing. It would be much easier for
| me if this echoing was suppressed. Can this be done?

I don't know how the Python pexpect module works, and you have not
provided sufficient detail to show how you are using it.

OTOH, if I run a shell command like

  echo 'x = 1; printf ("%d\n", x);' | octave -qf

Octave does not echo its input and only prints "1\n" on stdout.  Does
the pexepct Module make Octave think input is comming from a terminal?

jwe