Re: Standalone windows install: why?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Standalone windows install: why?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:28:43 -0500

On 31-Mar-2005, Paul Thomas <address@hidden> wrote:

| If I could offer a couple of comments on this:
|
| In spite of the benefits of the Cygwin environment, folk do appear to prefer
| straight Windows installs.

Is this a religious thing?  What if they don't know that they are
installing Cygwin?

If I install some proprietary binary only commericial software for
Windows, it may come with any number of add-on libraries and support
programs that are hidden behind the scenes.  Why is that any different
than having a set of POSIX compatibility libraries and support
programs (i.e., Cygwin) hidden behind the scenes?

| Since gcc-4.x binaries have been available for
| Windows, the demand for my regular Cygwin snapshots has declined to a
| trickle.

Do you mean binaries of gcc that do not require Cygwin to run?

jwe