Re: I can?t install it

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: I can?t install it
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:06:36 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Przemek Klosowski wrote:

  >                  yum install octave

  Do these methods also work for octave-forge?

Gentle folks configured debian packages of octave forge, but I don't know of similar work on RPMs so I am pretty sure that yum install octave-forge won't work.

It is unfortunate that the various Linux distros are not sufficiently compatible that a single package can be installed on all of them. Wasn't this sort of compatibility one of the goals of the LSB?

http://www.linuxbase.org/

Sorry to take this thread in more Linuxy direction, but I think it is important to be aware of the Linux distro variations and how those variations affect distribution of Octave.

Mike