Re: I can?t install it

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: I can?t install it
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:50:52 -0600

Mike Miller wrote:

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Przemek Klosowski wrote:

  This is why I used Debian GNU/Linux.  You can install Octave with

    apt-get install octave

  That's it.

and in Fedora you'd do
            yum install octave

Redhat's up2date does it too, as well as  SUSE's yast.

Do these methods also work for octave-forge?

Not yet, unfortunately. There is now a Fedora Extras repository that contains add-on packages for various Fedora versions (and RHEL IIRC). The problem right now is that its all new, and they are a bit disorganized. The intention is to have a Debian-like server with lots of pre-compiled software. I have volunteered to maintain an octave-forge package, but they have been slow in responding requests for access to their CVS server. I have RPMs for octave-forge and some related packages, but the only web server I have access to at the moment is provided by my ISP and has only 11 MB of space. If anyone has access to a server where they could put these RPMS, I would be happy to make them available.

Also, in the test release of Fedora Core 4 that came out this week, octave has been removed from the core distribution.

-Quentin