linear programming

From: Jeff Abrahamson
Subject: linear programming
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 18:51:09 -0500

It looks like octave uses NPSOL to do linear programming, which in
turn means that it can't be distributed with that functionality
because of the license conflict.

  http://www.cheric.org/education/eduaids/octave/octman/octave_75.html#SEC86

Am I mistaken?  Or, if not, is there a reason (say, politics) why
octave doesn't use glpk, which is GPL?

  http://www.gnu.org/software/glpk/glpk.html

If someone can point me in the right direction, I'm willing to take a
stab at making a glpk version of the lpsol function (stub?), as LP is
something I often need.

I see that there was some recent discussion about using lp_solve,
which is GPL.  Anyone know the status?

  http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/archive/help-octave.2005/msg00185.html

(Is this the right place to post these questions?)

Thanks.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.cs.drexel.edu/~jeffa/>