Re: Octave and 64-bits

From: Fredrik Lingvall
Subject: Re: Octave and 64-bits
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 01:38:42 -0600

Hi Clinton,

I am very interested of testing your version of octave. What is needed to port octave to
64-bits. Is it enough to change all int:s to long:s or is it more involved?

Fredrik

Clinton Chee wrote:

Hi Fredrik,

We at the High Performance Computing Support Unit at the University of New South Wales have ported Octave (v.2.1.57) to 64 bits on an SGI MIPSpro platform (should be quite protable). This has not been absorbed to the main octave code base at octave.org yet. However, we can make our version (based on v.2.1.57)available to you for further testing. We are working on merging with the 2.1.64 version now.

We have ran through the test-suite that came with Octave, and our 64bits seem to pass the tests. You may need to test it out yourself to verify 64bit-readiness. I don't think we use specific MIPSpro C++ code so it should be portable to Solaris. There may be one or two lines in the configuration file that need to be changed - that's all.

Cheers,
Clinton Chee

Fredrik Lingvall wrote:

Hi All,

We are trying to compile Octave on a 64-bit Solaris machine. So
far we have only been able to allocate about 2GB of ram, using

A = ones(N,N);

for example. Is Octave limited to 32-bit memory adressing or
can octave (given proper compiler flags) use the full 64-bit
adress space?

Regards,

Fredrik