Re: Making graphic available for Latex ( on Mac)

From: Henry F. Mollet
Subject: Re: Making graphic available for Latex ( on Mac)
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 11:06:15 -0800

LaTeX ­ A document preparation system
My question: If I had LaTex installed on my iMac with OS 10.2.8 would it
take the place of MSWord X for producing my final document for submission to
scientific journal. Or on my next Mac when Tiger comes out, LaTeX can take
the place of MSWord and I won't need it at all?

Using Octave/Gnuplot/AquaTerm I can save as pdf or eps. Current MS Word does
not fully support PDFs and creates a bitmap, therefore print quality is not
adequate. If I insert the EPS into MS Word, I can print with good quality
but cannot see the eps on the screen because I don't have/don't know how to
make an EPS file with Tiff or PICT preview.

So is LaTex the solution to my problem? I could also buy iWorks which
supports PDF and therefore won't rasterize (make a bit map) of my PDF files
that were created with AquaTerm.
Henry