gsplot change between 2.1.57 and 2.1.64?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: gsplot change between 2.1.57 and 2.1.64?
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:49:58 -0500

On 12-Jan-2005, E. Joshua Rigler <address@hidden> wrote:

| I recently noticed that none of the surface plotting routines (surf,
| surfc, mesh, etc.) work in 2.1.64 if I pass a solitary matrix (Z), as
| opposed to passing (x,y,Z).  I tried an older version (2.1.57), and
| everything worked fine.  I traced things back a bit and the problem
| seems to lie in or somewhere upstream of gsplot.  I compared text files
| /tmp/oct-*****, and they were identical after running the command
| "mesh(peaks)" from both Octave versions, but doing so in 2.1.64 results
| in the following error from gnuplot:
|

|         sp '/tmp/oct-RemFGc' u 1:2:3 t "line 1"
|                                                            ^
|         line 0: no functions or data to plot

I just posted a fix for this problem to the help and bug lists.  It is
a one line change to src/pt-plot.cc.

| I'm guessing this is a known bug, but can anyone suggest a fix that
| doesn't involve patching the source and recompiling Octave from
| scratch?

You could modify the mesh command so that

  mesh (z)

does the equivalent of

  mesh (0:columns(z)-1, 0:rows(z)-1, z)

| If not, can I get a tentative date for the next Octave release
| so I can decide if its worth just waiting for 2.1.65 (it takes nearly
| half a work-day to compile octave and octave-forge from scratch on my
| desktop computer and full day on my laptop!).

I don't know when 2.1.65 will happen, but I would guess that there
will be at least one more snapshot for bug-fixes like this before
there will be a snapshot that includes the recent major changes that
are currently only in the CVS archive.

jwe