How can one get the size of a sparse matrix ?

From: Schloegl Alois
Subject: How can one get the size of a sparse matrix ?
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 12:36:39 +0100

I'm using Andy Adlers Sparse toolbox using Octave-forge.

octave:10> which sparse
sparse is the dynamically-linked function from the file
/usr/local/libexec/octave/2.1.64/site/oct/i686-pc-linux-gnu/octave-forge/sparse.oct

When I try to obtain number of rows and columns of a sparse matrix, I get always
-1.

octave:11> X = sparse(2:5,1:4,1);
octave:12> size(X),
ans =

  -1  -1

How can one obtain the size of a sparse matrix ?

Thanks for considering,

   Alois