Re: Audio i/o

From: edA-qa mort-ora-y
Subject: Re: Audio i/o
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:55:03 +0100

Jose Colmenares wrote:
I want to play, using my soundcard, a certain signal.
I could generate the signal, and play it using the
playsound command. Nevertheless, how do I put the
vector in the correcto format? I've searched the web,

Do you need to play them from directly within Octave? If not, then here is a solution. If yes, then well, use the same advice and simply call the "system" function. ;)

If you are generating waveforms it is probably fairly convenient for you to use floating point samples. These samples should be in the range [-1,1] as that is what a typical sound-card, and the playing system are expecting. Your vector is a normal Octave vector (one-row) in time offset order t(1) is first sample, t(2) is second, ...

Once you have a vector you need to write it to a file. You can do this with a command like:
        fwrite( handle, data, "float" )
The "float" instructs it to write in the float format, which should be 32-bit floating point.

Now, for Linux:
Once you have a file you can play it using the program "sox" and "esdcat". esdcat is installed on most new Linux installs, sox may need to be additionally installed. RUn this command:
        sox -t raw -l -f -r 44100 filename -c 1 -s -w -t raw - | esdcat -r
44100 -m
This converts your RAW file forward into something esdcat can use, and then it plays it. Replace 44100 with the appropriate byte rate. The docs on sox/esdcat explain the rest of the options.

Now, for Windows:
Well, from the command line I don't know what to do, but maybe esdcat is also ported... otherwise open your file in something like CoolEdit and let it play it.

--
edA-qa mort-ora-y
Idea Architect