Re: Source of <butter.m>?

From: Robert A. Macy
Subject: Re: Source of <butter.m>?
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:04:31 -0800

You will note the Butterworth is very simple and has evenly
placed poles around a circle.  You'll find the locations
are easy to calculate.  Octave is a breeze here.

HOWEVER, if you start looking at Tchebyshev; be cautious.
 The poles are indeed in the smae locations, but start to
move in and out forming an ellipse.  The gotcha here is
that everything for the Butterworth is referenced to the
3dB rolloff point, BUT Tchebyshev is referenced to it's
"ripple" down point.  For some applications you then end up
not comparing apples to apples for performance.

Simply adjust one so your reference point (rolloff?) is the
same and you will avoid the week of confusion I went
through.

                   - Robert -