Re: Packaging Octave for Windows and OS X (was: writing integer with fwr

From: Per Persson
Subject: Re: Packaging Octave for Windows and OS X (was: writing integer with fwrite)
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:38:09 +0100

On Dec 14, 2004, at 21:19, Joe Koski wrote:

on 12/14/04 11:56 AM, John W. Eaton at address@hidden wrote:

On 14-Dec-2004, Joe Koski <address@hidden> wrote:

| Another personal opinion. Since Linux and OS X share gcc, gnu make, and | (more recently) the bash shell, creating a make file that would work for | both sytems should not be that difficult. Admittedly, Apple doesn't help by | constantly tweaking gcc and OS X to get ready for 64 bit computing (Tiger).

Don't most systems that use Autoconf configure scripts come close to
this already?

WRT to the current state of octave on OS X, I'd say that the *only* real issue left is the lack of a standard Fortran compiler for Mac OS X. I'm using XLF for all my builds, gave up hoping for Apple to deliver g77 with XCode a long time ago.

Octave's makefiles *will* work on OS X, given that you have a properly working fortran compiler. Even though I'm pretty quiet these days (very little time to spare) I regularly compile the CVS version of octave + octave-forge to make sure nothing is broken on Mac OS X.

| The common Linux/OS X make file approach for the "you probably want this | one" versions of octave and octave-forge on sourceforge would be my vote for
| a "Mac friendly" installer of octave.

Here's what I do:
./configure --enable-shared --disable-static --enable-dl --with-f77=xlf
make FFLAGS=-qextname

If you don't have readline add --disable-readline (readline 5 is just a matter of configure, make, make install).

Last time I built with g77 I needed to use
./configure --enable-shared --disable-static --enable-dl
make FLIBS=-lg2c

octave-forge 2004-11-16 is the proper version of octave-forge for octave 2.1.64.
Simply configure & make will work.

HTH,
Per