matlab .vs. octave: how to choose

From: Joao Miguel Ferreira
Subject: matlab .vs. octave: how to choose
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 14:36:31 -0500

Hello all,

I'm new to this list. I have a problem, maybe someone can help me.

I would like to understand better what could be the limitations of using
Octave instead of Matlab and, vice-versa, the limitations of using
Matlab instead of Octave.

In my ideia (and probably I'm wrong... and that is why I'm searching for
information) there could be limitations, like:

a) in Octave in the availability of diferent toolboxes for all the
cientific and engineering areas covered by matlab, and

b) in Matlab maybe in openness and, obviously the price.

Getting to the point: are there equivalents in Octave for the following
packages of Matlab: ???

- Simulink
- StateFlow
- StateFlow Coder
- Signal Processing Toolbox
- Statistics Toolbox
- Symbolic Math
- Neural Networks
- Communications
- others ?

I really would like to work with Octave. I'm a free-software and gnu
fan. I would like to be sure before making a decision. Right now the
school were I work is starting a process to eventually buy matlab, and I
would like to know the alternatives.

Thank you for any 'light' on this matter.

João Ferreira
jmf