Re: Strange parse error

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Strange parse error
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 17:23:58 -0400

On  9-Aug-2004, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:

| Sorry to say it but, here I get
|
| octave:1> foo
| parse error near line 3 of file /home/dbateman/foo.m
|
|   syntax error

| but hey its a pretty stupid thing to do in any case. Wrapping the "x =
| sin(arg)" in an eval as well and the problem goes away..

I believe that it is a problem, but I don't have enough information
yet to debug it.  Would someone who experiences the problem please
send a complete bug report using the bug_report function in Octave?
That should produce a report that includes all the built-in variable
settings, how Octave was compiled, etc.  Perhaps the problem depends
on some of these things, but I have no way of guessing precisely what
it is.  It would also help to provide precisely the text of the
function that causes the problem (maybe it is a DOS line ending
problem, which might disappear if you typed the code into a mail
message).

In this particular case, it might also be helpful to provide the
output from running  "echo foo | octave -d" (assuming your function is
called "foo") so that I can see what sequence of tokens Octave
produces for this input on your system.

jwe