Re: eps output problem

From: Ross Vandegrift
Subject: Re: eps output problem
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 10:39:16 -0400

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 11:12:08AM +0100, Crispin wrote:
> I'm having a problem with more than one plot on the same set of axes.
>
> Recreated as follows:
> http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~cc26/octave/ contains the files
>
> run octave, with problem.m in your function path
> > load test
> > problem

I haven't run your code, but between this and last semester, I've done a
lot of plots to files with Octave.  In general, gnuplot's Postscript
plotting has been really bad.  It does all kind of weird stuff.  I hit
your problem a lot.

In general, I always plot with "gset terminal fig" instead of
postscript.  For some reason, gnuplot does way better when plotting to
fig than postscript.  You can then change fig to eps by "fig2dev -L eps
file.fig file.eps".  It's also easier to edit if there are minor
problems.

I have run into rare instances where fig doesn't work either - I can't
recall any specific cases, but I have all the code and could dig
them out.  In that case, I use the latex term and hand edit the picture
environment to get rid of the stuff I don't want.

Most of this is probably because I'm not really an octave/gnuplot
plotting wizard and do all kinds of things wrong.

--
Ross Vandegrift
address@hidden

man in the bonds of Hell."