problem loading hdf5 file

From: E. Joshua Rigler
Subject: problem loading hdf5 file
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:35:11 -0600

I am having trouble loading a supposedly valid hdf5 data file (it loads
OK with the java-based hdfview program).  I get the message "error:
load: error while reading hdf5 item ...", and nothing is loaded.  Is
there a good way to get a little more info for debugging this problem?
Is there a lower-level interface in Octave for manipulating
sophisticated (or poorly designed) hdf files?

It seems to me the file shouldn't be SO non-standard that Octave can't
load a single variable or structure, but maybe so.  If someone wants to
check, and if the server is even up, a test file can be downloaded from:

  ftp://g0dps01u.ecs.nasa.gov/SORCE/SOR3SSID.001/2003.11.20/

(there's only two files in the directory, and only one is *.h5)

-EJR