Re: binary packages

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: binary packages
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 07:16:23 -0500

On Feb 15, 2004, at 9:25 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 01:14:27AM -0500, Paul Kienzle wrote:
Debian:

        Dirk does a wonderful job of keeping the octave
        and octave-forge Debian packages up to date.
        We need equally dedicated folks for other platforms.

There is also the currently less wonderful job with

  octave-sp    which few people use it, and I got too little help
               from A.S. Hodel when I needed it, so the package
               lingers -- this really should get refactored into
               octave-forge

Somebody who uses this will have to step in and do
the work necessary to get it into octave-forge.   With
a proper test suite, maintainers can keep the code
current without understanding the algorithms,  but
without test cases that is impossible.  Note that I don't
know if octave-sp already has the appropriate tests.

  libinline-octave-perl    which may need a maintenance release, but
                           again too few people know and use this

Is this also available from CPAN?
Does Debian interact well with CPAN?

and then there are the script (non-binary) packages

  octave-ci    where the remaining functions should get factored
               into octave-forge

This was discussed a month ago:

Nobody expressed any interest in these functions.  I have
no desire to add something to octave-forge that nobody is
using.

  matwrap      standalone tool for C/C++ wrapper generation, possibly
               overlapping with mex in octave-forge

Someone should do the work necessary to get this into SWIG.

  octave-epstk standalone, can probably stay that way.

Agreed.

Also, let's not forget Rafael's excellent work with

  octave-gpc
  octave-plplot
  octave-statdataml

which he also keep current.