Re: Problems calling functions created with Matwrap

From: Christoph Dalitz
Subject: Re: Problems calling functions created with Matwrap
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 20:00:21 +0100

An offtopic comment on installing a current Octave version on Debian:

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:19:00 -0600
Dirk Eddelbuettel <address@hidden> wrote:

> >  I'm using Octave (ver.2.0.16 under Debian ) to develop some methods for
>
> [ That's a pretty old version. 2.0.17 is the last one in the now dormant 2.0
> series of Octave. You may want to consider the 2.1.* branch of Octave where
> 2.1.50 is currently the recommended general-user version. I don't know of
> Debian backports, though. ]

The easiest way is to grab the source code from www.octave.org and install it
with checkinstall (http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/). This will
build
and install a Debian package without the need to upgrade to unstable. The
advantage
compared to "make install" is that you can uninstall the software later.

This also works on RPM based systems by the way.

Christoph