Re: C++ and octave

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: C++ and octave
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:18:55 +0100

Hi
Thanks for the quick reply, and I'm sorry about my late reply

A method that I need to implement on C++ needs to compute the mean and standard deviation of the values in a matrix. I cannot find any functions I can call from C++ to compute these values and google gives me nothing.

Typing "type mean" inside octave gives me an m-file implementation of the mean function. Does this mean I can't call mean from C++ ? At the moment I have just a quick 'n' dirty implementation of mean & std in C++. Is this really the way to go?

Soren

THOMAS Paul Richard wrote:
Soren,

Speaking as an octave debutant myself, I would say that, to first order, you
have posted to the right place; the experts who keep an eye on the list are
remarkably generous of their time and are very prompt in their replies.  My
guess is that you will see a response to your question fairly soon.

Secondly, as far as I am aware, "Da Coda al Fine" is about all that there
is, together with the various octave lists and the wiki.  At the end of
section 13.8 of the documentation, you will find, "There is currently no
detailed description of all the functions that you can call in a built-in
function. For the time being, you will have to read the source code for
Octave." Often a Google search containing octave and a few key words will furnish
some enlightenment from these sources.  "octave segmentation method"
produced 1670 reponses, some of which looked as if they were relevant, and
replacing octave with matlab bumped that up to 6700.  I rather think that if
you were to refine the search a bit, you will find what you want.

I have undertaken to write a DLD cookbook for the C++-impaired, like myself,
to supplement section 13.8 of the documentation and "Da Coda al Fine".  It
was promised for Christmas but all the time that I could spare has been
taken up by researching the material and putting together some examples.  It
will happen, honest!  However, I will not be attempting even an index of the
functions.
In the mean time, best of luck.

Paul