Octave/OS X Aquaterm problems (bugs or me?)

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Octave/OS X Aquaterm problems (bugs or me?)
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 15:27:48 -0700

As a relatively new Octave user, I having some problems with the Mac OS
X/Aquaterm graphics interface, and I've not had enough experience to
determine if the problems are me, or the Aquaterm interface itself.

By the way, Aquaterm looks much better to me than X11, and I really like
being able to print graphics directly from Aquaterm, rather than having to
do replots via another graphics driver.

First problem: When I try to use figure.m, I get the error message

octave:1> figure(1)
error: figure: requires X11 and valid DISPLAY
error: evaluating if command near line 42, column 7
error: evaluating if command near line 41, column 5
error: evaluating if command near line 40, column 3
error: called from `figure' in file
`/sw/share/octave/2.1.46/site/m/octave-forge/MacOSX/figure.m'
octave:1>

This occurs apparently while I'm using (or at least I think I'm using) the
octave-forge Mac OS X version of figure.m. This occurs even after I've done
"gset terminal aqua." Do I also need to setenv DISPLAY to something? I've
tried setting DISPLAY to aqua, Aquaterm, and aquaterm, but those all give me
errors. After figure is called, a show terminal gives me "terminal type is
x11 1" even if it was set to aqua before.

Second problem (which may go away if above question is answered): When I
ignore figure, my first page of four subplots goes well until I need to go
to additional pages (figures?). At that point, even though I do a clg before
each new subplot on the added page, the ylabels for the new page of plots is
written over the ylabels of the previous pages of plots. After several
pages, this can get messy. I guess I could do a rewrite and, after the first
page, do replot instead of plot for each subplot, but that seems a bit
awkward to me.

Any help, suggestions or ideas will be appreciated.

Joe Koski